I find myself at the end of another year and a stack of books still sitting unread. Why did I not finish these must-read books on my list?
It isn’t my lack of reading; it is usually life that has gotten in the way.
With anything, I like to have a plan.
This year I want to read a book a week. Not just any books.
I want to read Must-Read Books.
One book every week for 52 weeks.
So over the course of several days, I researched books that I wanted to read and divided them into categories.
For a whole year, I will read one of these books a week and will come back and give more insight as the year progresses.
Enjoy this list of must-read books.
Christian Woman Must-Read Books:
- Wild and Free: A Hope-Filled Anthem for the Woman Who Feels She is Both Too Much and Not Enough: This is the book that started my book a week challenge. As a mom who sometimes feels like she is too much and a woman who feels like she is never enough, I totally related to this book. The perfect way to start off the year.
- Loving My Actual Life: An Experiment in Relishing What’s Right in Front of Me: This could be my favorite book I read this year. I feel like I know Alex and loved following along in this experiment with her.
- Choosing Real: An Invitation to Celebrate When Life Does Not Go As Planned: Whenever I have a friend or family member going through a rough patch, this is the book I recommend. Life does not always go as planned, but this book was a great read on perserving and celebrating.
- The Flipside of Feminism–What Conservative Women Know and Men Can’t Say: This year I wanted to learn more about the truth behind feminism. As a mom raising a daughter, I pray that I can instill the importance of the role of wife and mother. I learned so much about the feminist movement and am happy to report that it was a book I think all women should read.
- What Our Mothers Didn’t Tell Us – Why Happiness Eludes the Modern Woman: I loved the simplicity of this book. It is so true that modern women are unhappy, and this is the book that shines a light on the subject and gets to the root of the problem.
- Treasuring God in Our Traditions
- Hands-Free Life: Nine Habits for Overcoming Distraction, Living Better, and Loving More: Such an amazing reminder not to miss what is right in front of us. Since reading this book, I have found myself much more involved in the day-to-day moments with my kids. If you need help putting down the to-do list or phone, this is your book.
- The Broken Way: I literally dog-eared every page of this book. These words were like a healing salve for this woman’s soul. A must-read and one I will read AGAIN.
- Never Unfriended
- Women of the Word
Marriage Must-Read Books:
- 7 Things He’ll Never Tell You…But You Need to Know: Yes these are 7 things every wife must know. This gave me some insight into my man. A quick read too!
- The Good Girls Guide to Great Sex (and you thought bad girls have all the fun): I loved having a book all about sex on my list. This certainly lit the fire to keep our romance kindled.
- Messy, Beautiful Love: Hope and Redemption for Real-Life Marriages
- The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
- And They Were Not Ashamed: Strengthening Marriage Through Sexual Fulfillment
- The Mingling of Souls: God’s Design for Love, Marriage, Sex, and Redemption
Parenting / Homeschooling Must-Read Books:
- A Return to Modesty: Discovering the Lost Virtue
- Prude: How the Sex-Obsessed Culture Damages Girls (and America, too!)
- Breaking Busy: How to Find Peace and Purpose in a World of Crazy – If you are looking for a way to get off the hamster wheel of life – this is the book for you! In fact, the only reason I am still blogging is because of this book. Alli showed me that I can put what is important first and still pursue my hobby.
- Growing Up Social: Raising Relational Kids in a Screen-Driven World: Parents, buy this book. It is so eye-opening of the dangers of screens and how we can find balance!!
- The Unhurried Homeschooler: A book that can be read in one sitting. SO refreshing and perfect for this homeschooling mama’s soul.
- Called Home: Finding Joy in Letting God Lead Your Homeschool: I had heard such good things about this book, and I see why. Sometimes homeschool moms get so caught up in the work that we forget the why. This book helped remind me of my why and ways to bring it back.
- How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk
- What a Son Needs From His Mom
- What a Girl Needs From Her Mom
- The Whole-Brain Child: If only I had read this book 5 years ago!! If you have a strong-willed or challenging child this a must-read. In fact, I think every parent should be required to read this book. I took lots of notes!!
- Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full:
- 8 Simple Tools for Raising Great Kids:
- Becoming a Spiritually Healthy Family
- The Entitlement Trap
- Teach a Child to Read with Children’s Books
- Teaching Your Children Healthy Sexuality: A Biblical Approach to Prepare Them For Life
Work-Related Must-Read Books:
- Design Your Day: Be more productive, Set better goals, Live life on purpose
- Taming the To Do List: How to Choose Your Best Work Every Day
- Blog at Home Mom: Balancing Blogging and Motherhood
- Money-Making Mom
- Effortless Healing
- The Miracle Morning for Writers
- Balancing in Heels
Fiction Must-Read Books:
- All the Light We Cannot See
- Though Waters Roar: This Christian historical fiction book was a page-turner. I learned so much about the slavery movement and the suffrage movement from reading this book. Very inspiring.
- The Art of Losing Yourself: After suffering through years of infertility, Carmen lost herself and what is most important to her. This book is about her rediscovery.
- What Alice Forgot:
- The Light Between Oceans:
- The Mothers:
- All Fall Down
- While We’re Far Apart
- The Midnight Watch
- The Nest
- Once Upon a Time: Regina Rising
- Big Little Lies
- Something in Between:
Extra Books I Read in 2017:
Do you have any to add to my list for 2017??